Wednesday 27 January 2010

"Ye boundless realms of joy"

I've just got back from Evensong rehearsal - and all I can say is - Anthem 18 from Handel's 'Chandos Anthems' is LOTS of fun to sight sing. In the frantic effort to get in notes and words, it was a surprise I came through alive. But I did! Hurrah!

Unfortunately we don't have a Baroque orchestra accompanying us, but I think I'd trade them any day for the wonderful acoustics we get in a Cathedral. One of my teachers has said that it's best to have lessons in a 'dead' room so that you're pleasantly surprised at even a slightly better acoustic - but there's nothing like the vaulted ceiling of a Cathedral to put a singer at ease!

This, kids, is contrapuntal to the extreme...it was so mental to sight read whilst everyone was doing their own thing around you...though, that's a choir for you! Matters weren't made all that much better due to the interesting publication we had, which had a lovely octave G over the page turn...oh HI! However, no amount of moaning can detract from the fact that this is a lovely anthem.

One of my particular highlights, is how every part comes from their different winding paths for certain important phrases such as 'His praise your song employ', 'above the starry frame'...and so on. Very simple, but has a very poignant effect on singer and listener alike I think. Though it's the weaving of the vocal parts that really pulls the listener along, and gives it that lovely baroque bounce :)

No comments:

Post a Comment