Monday 11 January 2010

"Priveghiati si va rugati"

Before I begin, I don't pretend to know anything about the Romanian Orthodox Church and its music; but a friend recommended this sacred aria to me, and I'm very glad he did. So though I might not have anything worthwhile or insightful to say about it, it's definitely worth a listen.

This recording of "Priveghiati si va rugati" by composer Gheorghe Popescu of course includes the internationally acclaimed Romanian soprano, Angela Gheorghui, singing alongside The Romanian National Chamber Choir. It seems to me that something magical happens when people sing material from their homeland. Angela and her counterparts seem to have such a strong passion and affinity with this music, which is perfectly conveyed to the listener. Of course this is aided by the fact that they are perfectly comfortable in the language, and can focus entirely on its sacred meaning.

The new orchestral introduction, written for this recording, is an odd choice, (as it seems it would have worked just as well as a purely choral piece, as it always has been) however, it's works as a perfect introduction to the peaceful Romanian National Chamber Choir. The choir's sweet, effervescent sound is the perfect contrast to Gheorghui's slightly darker tone. She sounds like an Angel, coming to declare some Divine advice, as she somehow powerfully caresses her first line; 'Priveghiati si va rugati', or 'Watch and Pray'. The two vocal elements blend beautifully, with a superb bass pedal being held almost constantly to create a wonderfully ancient and holy sound.

Listen carefully and close your eyes. I was transported directly to somewhere that looked a little something like this:

I was taken to a specific building, half way across the globe with this stunning music. The power of the voice endlessly fascinates me.

Tomorrow: Either something from La Donna del Lago or Elisabetta, regina d'Inghilterra...haven't quite decided :)

2 comments:

  1. Thankyou for writing about this :)
    Consider this as fan mail haha
    By the way, don't suppose you've got the cd that this is from? or are you planning on getting it? if not, i think i might! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. No I haven't got it...I think I might just buy the 4 Romanian arias from i-tunes. According to reviews, the other tracks on it aren't quite up to standard.
    and thank you for my fanmail!

    ReplyDelete