Saturday 9 January 2010

"Ubi Caritas"


So carrying on with the slightly holy/choral theme that I've seemed to establish, I stumbled across what is apparently a very famous setting of 'Ubi Caritas' by Maurice Duruflé - but I know little/nothing about this type of music so it's all news to me!

What first hit be about this was the complete lack of sopranos. Now don't worry, I'm not some sort of diva who refuses to sing anything where we are not the 100% focus, infact many a time I've wished I was a mezzo. So though the sopranos may only have 14 measures in the entirety of this motet, I love the gentleness and warmth that it creates; omitting the sometimes, admittedly, overbearing upper line. I'm also a fan of closer harmony, which the low alto and doubled tenor part creates. But that's just me :) It's clever as well, how the sopranos come in for the 'exultation', stepping it up a level, and making a really obvious contrast - therefore conveying the meaning, even if you don't know what the text means.

However, the piece took on a new level for me when I looked up the meaning of the words. The message so simple, but so effectively put across. The first gentle passage, 'where charity and love are, God is there' and 'may we love each other with a sincere heart' surely just sum up what it's all about. Unfortunately the poet is unknown, but many believe it was written shortly after the first millennium. It thrills me that stuff that truly ancient can still be appreciated.

I can't believe this was composed in 1960. Duruflé was clearly captivated by the ancient history of this text, and used the original Gregorian melody (the picture at the top shows it!) that was composed somewhere between the fourth and tenth centuries. What's a few hundred years between friends eh?! I believe that thanks to this inspiration, the piece just oozes simplistic calm. The melody moves in steps as you'd expect, with few surprises - but still manages to be innovative and fascinating with the odd melisma. That fantastic melisma in the alto part to prepare the final cadence left me with goosebumps.

The great thing I feel about this is - every part of it expresses what it's trying to express. The melody, the text, the structure; the simplicity, calm and warmth of this musical expression surely mirrors what the liturgy is about in the first place. Divine love.

Tomorrow: Some Giordano performed by Renée Fleming

1 comment:

  1. Hey :) Loved the post - I've got a link for you if you want? It's in keeping with the whole choral theme. I don't know if you'd be interested, but I found it stunningly beautiful.
    Have fun :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfwQVXEA3Ec

    ReplyDelete