Sunday 17 January 2010

"Abendsegen"

As well as my previous prejudice of things based on greek myth, I also have a slight fear of dramatic works in which children are played by adults. It seems to leave the roles open to massive exaggeration, and I end up sitting in my seat praying for the ground to swallow me up.

However, I heard of this piece, "Abendsegen", or "Evening Prayer" from Humperdinck's "Hansel and Gretel", and realised that the singers need nothing more than to sing the duet; the childlike simplicity and innocence of the writing doing all of the work for them. This clip is also worth listening to simply for the brilliance of Frederica von Stade - who has the power to make anything sound wonderful.

I came across the duet in a search of lyrics for a SATB lullaby I'm currently composing, and I not only found said lyrics, but also a beautiful duet that I really want to try.

I get the impression that if you didn't know this was from an opera, you'd think it was a sacred piece. It's the harmonizing mezzo line that gives me this impression, with melismas underneath the held soprano line, creating the feminine cadence that you come across in a lot of sacred music. I think. I'm not really explaining this very well...I'm having a musical mental block - just take a listen and you'll see what I mean. Obviously it's a child's prayer, and has religious connotations, and the style of composition is so reminiscent of works sung in church. This is, after-all, probably what Humperdinck wanted us to think, where he wanted us to be transported.

Also, you can forget the tenor/soprano duet; there is nothing quite like a mezzo/soprano duet. Someone important, I can't specifically remember who, has said that nothing quite conveys love like the sound of a female/female duet - hence the presence of so many castrati/trouser roles in opera. Clearly in this case, with the singers being young children, that love is in an innocent, divine love - voiced through this beautiful prayer.

I wish I could do this piece more justice...I've left writing far too late and now I'm struggling to think of anything remotely worthwhile to say. It may also have something to do with staying up until 2am to pour my heart out about Carmen last night. I might have to revisit this later on, I feel like I'm letting it down. Look out for Abendsegen Part II!

But finally, let's just hear it for Engelbert Humperdinck - the man with THE best name since...forever. There's a saying that 'Guiseppe Verdi was just plain Joe Green back home'; but Engelbert Humperdinck must have been awesome wherever he went. I would have bowed down in the street to a man with a name like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment