Wednesday 13 January 2010

"In questi estremi istanti"



















The Rossini from the previous post, perhaps unsurprisingly, led to some more Rossini; in the form of a beautiful trio from Maometto Secondo...

Elina Garanca's 'Bel Canto' was probably the CD that completed my transformation from 'average teenager' to 'obsessed nerd'. So much of my musical taste has stemmed from this single CD; obviously starting with Bel Canto music, and then basically moving through Garanca's repertoire to the more Romantic roles of Charlotte and Carmen.

I specifically remember stumbling across recording of her singing the famous 'Flower Duet' from Lakmé with Anna Netrebko. Instead of focusing all my attention on the soprano (a crime I'm often guilty of...though I'm getting much better!), I was totally captivated by the mezzo and her intelligent, modest performance. Needless to say, I didn't learn the soprano line I was meant to...

Anyway! Maometto...not a very well known opera really, in anyone's books; but as is so often the case, there are some really great pieces of music in it, that deserve to be heard. The stunningly simplistic trio 'In questi estremi istanti' is certainly one of them.

Cut down to the bare essentials, the haunting melody is established by the mezzo, then repeated by soprano and tenor, whilst the others harmonise. Sounds pretty basic on paper, but the simple ideas are always the best! The clever thing about this trio, it seems, is how all of the parts perfectly blend together, and that the momentum builds as each layer is added. Parts are passed down like a production line as more parts enter, and the harmonic effect is truly beautiful. My personal highlight is at the beginning of the second 'verse', for want of a better term, when the soprano starts to harmonise the mezzo line. In my mind's eye, I can see a bow shape being created as the vocal lines progress; the mezzo coming down, the soprano going up - creating a seamless overlap that gets me every time.

I also love this because a trio isn't something you get very often. We love our duets - or in Rossini our quintets and octets! And you can forget about 'The Three Tenors'...what about 'The Mezzo, Soprano, and Tenor'...hmm...not quite as catchy though.

Only a relatively short post for tonight I think...I fancy going to bed and watching Rosenkavalier...and we know that can't be done in a hurry.

No comments:

Post a Comment