Tuesday 6 July 2010

Renaissance...finally

Renaissance of MANY forms occurring here. Well...actually two. 1) Re-birth of the dreaded blog again after what feels like several years off whilst studying for final exams 2) Re-visiting the music of childhood...

Reverting to my childhood might not have been the best plan for success in A level exams, but lullabies have pulled me through by far the most stressful days of my, albeit very short, life.

First is this absolute gem by some guy I've never heard of. However, Xavier Montsalvatge is apparently very famous for his collection of songs for mezzo-soprano, the most celebrated of which has a title probably not approved of by the PC police: Cancion de cuna para dormir un negrito...


The bit with the humming breaks my heart...I'm not entirely sure why. Anyway, this is genius. I'm very fickle with modern composition, but I don't even mind the dissonance in this...not sure how the dozing baby would feel about it...but it's good enough for me. Team that with my love for that instrument that's like a piano but isn't, and on the whole it's ace. Only as you can probably tell, I'm not 100% positive WHY I think it's ace...it just...is.

Next on the track list of Now That's What I Call a Lullaby 65, is a tune that's been engraved (or should I say notated?) onto my mind, and most of our minds, since...well since birth. We have a cassette tape somewhere of my brother singing Brahms' lullaby, followed by some slightly less beautiful (actually, it's positively soul destroying) white noise. These two tracks were apparently the only thing that would get me to sleep. However, try as he might, I don't really think my brother could top this complete sweetness:


Simplicity at its best...Lullabies must be the best stress relief around.

No comments:

Post a Comment