Thursday 8 April 2010

Vaga Luna Che Inargenti


Update: I've figured out how to embed videos which is a nice little technological advance for all 1.5 of you readers to enjoy! I do try to keep you all happy, though with so many readers it can be difficult ;)

So, Vaga Luna Che Inargenti, a beautiful and sensitive art song by Vincenzo Bellini. Maybe. No one's really sure if it's his because it wasn't published in the Tre Ariette collection. But to my, albeit completely unworthy and naive ears, it couldn't be written by anyone else. The achingly simple melody, zero ornamentation, and phrasing that just gently folds in on itself seems to be everything that Bellini was ever about. What amazes me about this though is how someone could write such an utterly heart-rending, tear-jerking, pass-me-the-kleenex piece, in a major key?! Bellini's a legend.

Subtle isn't a word that I would often attribute to Cecilia Bartoli. For me, the breathyness and the oddly elastic face get in the way for a lot of the stuff she does; sometimes it goes so far as to scare me ever so slightly. However her interpretation of this piece is really subtly sublime. Nothing's showy, and she's really singing the song. And that breathyness that I usually hate? I'm going to concede and say that for this piece, it adds a different sort of shading and dynamic that really works, showing the weakness of the singer for the love she's singing about. And she sounds just beautiful I swear, that's the only time I'll like it though :) She and the ever amazing Thibaudet work like a perfectly choreographed dance; both know exactly what the other's doing, the phrasing sensitively moulded by them both.

So the poor neglected blog is slowly being revived :) but now I'm off to finish studying...and by studying I mean diligently reading Gramophone.


No comments:

Post a Comment